No Flies Zone – Deter flies without a fly trap

I love to sit outside and had a nice table and chairs but the space wasn’t welcoming. Plus, whenever I had people over there was never enough seating. People would go outside to check out the view, and then come back inside. So rather than buying all new furniture I decided to spruce up the space by having 2 custom benches made and adding some decor items. I had the benches made by Heirlooms and Hardware at the OC Mart Mix and got a bunch of random pillows from Crate and Barrel. And here is how it turned out. We spend so much time out here and have even had up to 6 people sitting at the table at once. It’s a small table but the benches give so much extra seating that you don’t really notice the small table.

No Flys Zone 1

In case you are curious, here is the before and after.

No Flys Zone

The first night we sat outside, there were a ton of flies coming into the space which is totally annoying. I remembered a friend posted something on Pinterest to keep them away and decided to give it a try. Here is a link to the original post I saw. Basically, you hang a bag full of water with a couple pennies in it. The flies don’t like the reflection when they get near it and go somewhere else. So I tried it, and it totally worked! Like magic. Immediately the flies were gone. After a couple of weeks I didn’t like looking at the bag and it started to leak. I thought, I wonder if a glass jar would have the same effect? So I took the bag down. I grabbed a canning jar from my kitchen filled it with water, added the pennies, and put it on my table. And, amazingly it worked too! It’s much easier on the eyes and looks more like decor. Plus, it does it’s job to keep the flies away. Who would have guessed that a simple jar with a few pennies would deter flies?

Keeps Flies Away

20130913-073917.jpg

Share on Google+2Pin on Pinterest23.7kShare on Tumblr0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook49Email this to someonePrint this page

9 Comments on No Flies Zone – Deter flies without a fly trap

1. Fulham Pest Exterminator
    October 3, 2014 at 6:42 am (3 years ago)

A jar full of water and pennies? Who would have thought that this will be the ideal fly repellent :) Thank you for sharing this great idea!

2. Ruth Moore
    March 30, 2015 at 2:03 pm (2 years ago)

O.M.G. I hope this works. This brilliant! Love your posts! Ruth

3. Michele
    March 31, 2015 at 11:58 am (2 years ago)

great idea! I think (I have no proof other than my own experience) flies are drawn to succulents. I see you have one in your picture, and remembered how awful last summer was with flies getting inside as I had planted several succulents by the door. They were always on/in them, and would come inside as soon as the door opened.

• Kristi
      March 31, 2015 at 12:58 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Michele. Good to know! I have a lot of succulents. We have since moved to a new house so i’ll test moving the succulents away from our patio dining area. Thanks for the tip!

4. Elizabeth Faye
    June 4, 2015 at 8:19 am (2 years ago)

how many pennies do you put in the bag/jar? does it matter? if no, then what is the minimum

5. Page
    June 22, 2015 at 7:55 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for your before and after…and your discovery that a jar of pennies in water works just as well as the leaky bag of them!
    Love the look that you did on your patio! Nice job….and the pillows are lovely!!
    I’m gluten sensitive too, so will sashay back now and then to see what you have discovered cooking-wise.
    šŸ˜€ Nice blog! Page
    DesignOrganize.com

6. Aly
    June 25, 2015 at 6:49 pm (2 years ago)

so does the jar of pennies in water idea work if the sun is not out? Or does the sun need to be reflecting off the pennies to be effective?

7. Lani
    September 14, 2015 at 8:03 pm (2 years ago)

I use this and it works great. I have a ziplock bag of water and some pennies outside my back door.

8. Barb
    January 23, 2016 at 11:44 am (1 year ago)

Love you post. I have such a hard time with flies. I heard they like my glass doors for the heat. I love the light so I want to keep my doors. I can’t wait for summer to try this. I’m not fond of the plastic bags hanging. I’ve done that with vinegar waters Plastic bags just are very decorative. Thanks for the idea