35 minutes and dinner is done. I seriously love this recipe. The chipotle peppers add a smoky flavor I’ve never had in a chicken tortilla soup from any restaurant. Plus, it makes awesome leftovers so I don’t need to worry about lunch the next day. And, if I want to I freeze the leftovers for those busy nights I don’t have time to cook. For the gluten free version, the cheese in the bottom of the bowl melts quickly under the broth and is so good. This is a link to the original recipe I started with and have modified it to the recipe below to make gluten free and paleo versions, add the chipotle, and make it faster.
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Chopped Onions
2 tsp Chopped Garlic
1 Poblano Pepper, Seeded & Chopped
1 Jalapeño Pepper, Chopped (Optional)
1 7oz. Can Chipotle Peppers, Chopped
1/2 tsp Salt
1.5 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
64oz. Chicken Stock
1 14.5 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes In Juice
1 lb. Chicken Breast Strips
On the side:
For Gluten Free Add:
Cubed Queso Fresco
1. In a large heavy pot, heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil on medium-high.
2. Add the diced onions, chopped garlic, chopped peppers, salt, coriander, and cumin and saute for 2 minutes until the onions are soft but not burned.
3. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the diced tomatoes and chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. While the broth is simmering, cook the chicken breasts in a separate pan on medium heat with 1 Tbsp. olive oil until fully cooked. Shred chicken by hand after cooling or with 2 forks.
6. Add the chicken to the broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
For paleo, pour soup into bowls and top with cilantro and avocado plus lime juice.
For gluten free, place the cheese and tortilla chips in the bottom of your bowl, pour soup on top and add cilantro, avocado, and lime juice to the top.